1 cup white or brown basmati rice
kosher salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
1 eggplant (about 1 pound) cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 15.5-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt (preferable Greek), optional
1 piece naan, wheat or white
- In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, combine the rice, 1 ½ cups water, and ½ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Stir the rice once, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 18 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, eggplant, curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until eggplant is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and cook just until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from heat and stir in the basil. Fluff the rice with a fork. Serve the vegetables over the rice with yogurt, if using. Scoop up dish using naan, or Indian flatbread.
Recipe taken from www.realsimple.com